We developed a pre-configured Shibboleth demo to help you learn about how federated authentication works without having to install and configure Shibboleth IdP or SP software.
Our demo is an alternative to TestShib, since you can run the demo and learn about how federated authentication works without having to leave your network.
If you are new to Shibboleth, you may want to review the Shibboleth documentation website before trying our demo. We also offer Shibboleth training that is customized to your individual or organization’s needs.
If you have questions about our demo, please review our Shibboleth Demo FAQ.
Platforms used in this tutorial:
- Guest OS: CentOS 2.6.18
- Virtualization software: VirtualBox 4.2.6
- Shibboleth IdP: 2.3.3
- Shibboleth SP: 2.5.2
Requirements for running the demo:
- Make sure that you have sufficient memory (2GB free) and disk space (5GB) to download and run the VMs
Here are the steps to download and run our Shibboleth IdP/SP demo:
- Download and install the latest release of VirtualBox for your platform
- Download all of the VMs listed below. If you prefer, we can ship you a DVD of the demo for $15 to US addresses.
- If you are running the demo on a Mac, we recommend running the “unzip” command from a terminal to extract the demo VMs
- When you import the VMs to VirtualBox, DO NOT select the option to Reinitialize the MAC address of network cards. Selecting this option will erase configuration that is important for running the demo
- When you start the VMs for the first time, you will receive the following error message: “Could not start the machine… because the following physical network interface was not found. Realtek PCIe GBE Family controller. Click “Change Network Settings” and click OK to accept the default VirtualBox settings
- Start the VMs in the following order:
- After you start the Client VM, follow these instructions to run the demo
Shibboleth® is a registered trademark of Internet2. VirtualBox is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation.